Sunday, June 19, 2011

Two years later..


It has been two years since I have blogged, and here I am, still living the life of a gypsy, but only for a few months. People always say the best part about teaching is that you have the summer off. I disagree with that statement, because teaching is truly a wonderful job, but, with that said, having two months off to "defrag" is much needed.

I have taken up residence in Branford CT for a few weeks. My brother is digging holes in Mongolia, and in his absence, I am helping out my sister-in-law with the kids. They are a joy to be around. I don't get to see them much, so I am really excited to have this time with them. Micah is a ball of energy. He always has something to say, and most of the time his words put a smile on my face. Every now and then, when he is ornery and tired he will say to me "leave me alone auntie Emma," and that makes me rather sad. But most of the time he is saying things like "Please play with me Auntie Emma," or the popular two-year old question, "Why?"

Chloe is equally enjoyable. She is the happiest little baby. I am the worst dresser in the world, and yet she still forgives me when I forget to unbutton her shirt, and it gets stuck on her head. She poops a lot, and that took some getting used to. She is a very squirmy baby, and that forces me to be very creative while changing her.

I am missing my island, and my Hawaii Ohana. I miss getting in the Canoe, and paddling out into the Pacific Ocean. Being away from home reminds me of how thankful I am that I can call the Big Island my home. I sometimes wonder if the Big Island will be the end of Emmathegypsy. I have moments when I think that I could call that volcanic, black rock my home for forever. But then I remember my dream of living on another island in the Pacific. This one a bit larger, and a lot farther away. Who knows where I will end up. For now I am perfectly content sitting on the couch with little Micah man and watching Chloe crawl around looking for a foreign object to put in her mouth.






1 comment:

  1. Elegant and bittersweet. The writing bug has bitten our family quite hard indeed!

    ReplyDelete